Friday, April 13, 2012

Random Tornado Thoughts

With spring here, my usual anxiety over tornados is here. But with as bad as the weather has been in the Midwest, the anxiety has been taking up a lot more space in my head than usual.

They are rare where I live, and I have been through many tornado warnings, but I live in fear that one day will be the day one decides to actually hit my area. And I know without a doubt that should one hit my neighborhood, regardless of the strength of it, it would be very unlikely we would still have a house. And I always wonder what in the hell should we do whenever we do get a tornado warnings. My family and I should get out, but what in the hell do we do? Get in the car and drive? No, because you aren't supposed to do that, either. But there are no strong structures close by or ditches or anythng for us to even just go to. Provided we would have time to actually get in the car and drive off, you bet your bottom dollar I would be right in my car.

I briefly watched a storm chasing show yesterday and the chasers were practically about to orgasm in excitement at a forming tornado. And I am not going to lie, it was really fascinating and incredible watching it form. They are incredible to watch and if I wasn't such a chicken shit, I'd love to be a storm chaser. But knowing the damage they can cause and the lives they can ruin and take just completely takes away any fascination with them.

The National Weather Service has recently released a new tornado warning system, probably as a way to wake up people to the seriousness of what could be coming their way. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I practically wet my pants the second I see "a tornado warning has been issued for the following areas" across the bottom of my TV screen. If I saw one of those new warnings, I wouldn't have to worry about getting out of the house, because I would probably drop dead of a heart attack. That example used in the article is just that, an example, not even real, and I can actually feel my anxiety levels start to rise reading it.

Forget it if I ever heard a tornado siren. I don't even know if my area has them, but if they do, and I ever heard one....I am about 300% positive I would drop dead of a heart attack and/or stroke.

On another note, I see that Congratulations still has not been returned. *punches monitor*

No comments: