Wednesday, April 18, 2012
The Awesome Of The Day
ETA 9:42PM: Oh you beautiful thing, you are finally in my hands! *sobs* I just finally got around to going and getting it a couple hours ago. I wanted to go sooner, but I have been kind of lazy and cranky today. My sister was surprised I wasn't pounding on the door of the library before it was even open. I have been bitching every day since April 6th about it not being back yet.
ETA 4/22: Maybe I am weird (well....), but after repeated listens, I don't get the hate for Congratulations. I have read critical reviews of it over on ONTD (except for the really big fans of MGMT; they all seemed to love it). I read one music journal review of it and it was unnecessarily scathing (What is this pedestal they look down at us from? What exactly is the woman implying? They're snobby? I hardly get a negative impression from the two. If anything, the only impression I get is they are eccentric. And that is not a bad thing. Oh, and that Andrew looks like he is mischievous, which I actually had my suspicions confirmed in an article I read. Now I need to find it. And calling them wankers? I'm SORRY?). I think the album is pretty good.
As for the songs, I really like "I Found A Whistle". It seems to be Congratulations answer to "Pieces Of What", in that it makes me feel very emotional when I listen to it. The way it's sung, it's just so incredibly beautiful and tears always start pouring down my cheeks when I listen to it.
I already knew "Flash Delirium". And like it. And yes, I still think of Ben laughing at that one part in the video and laugh myself every time I listen to it.
Then there is the almighty of all MGMT songs (to me; what can I say, like I said before, I love the way Andrew sings it), "It's Working". Thank god that Music Network critic didn't say anything bad about this song. Otherwise, I'd be catching a flight to shank a bitch.
"Brian Eno" and "Song For Dan Treacy" just make me want to dance. The latter also makes me think of those 1950's beach movies. I also always think in the Lolla 2010 performance of the former, there is this one part where it shows Andrew kind of from the back and side and he is like bouncing up and down along with the tempo and I started laughing so hard the first time I saw it.
"Someone's Missing" is good. I find myself singing it for several hours after every listen.
"Siberian Breaks" is the one song I have been dying to hear off of this album since I have heard so much praise of it (and that it is Andrew's favorite). It doesn't really catch my attention until about 4:55 into the song, and from about 6:00 to about 8:20 is probably my favorite part of the song. The last two minutes and ten seconds of it reminds me of some crazy 80's movie. I have a feeling it will be one of those songs that I will really start to like after a few more listens. After I finished listening to it for the first time, I tried to think of one word to describe it and the only word I could come up with was haunting, particularly the line "I hope I die before I get sold".
I found a little bit more to like in "Congratulations" than previous listens, although I still can't help but think of that poor weird creature in the video every time I listen to it.
And last but not least, "Lady Dada's Nightmare" just flat out creeps me out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment