Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Quote Of The Day

From the book I am currently reading, The Crepes of Wrath, by Tamar Myers:
I returned to bed feeling guilty. I know it wasn't my fault Lizzie died, and the cause of her death was still unknown, but I was sure it was somehow my fault. It's because I am a Mennonite, you see- an Amish-Mennonite to be precise. My ancestors were Swiss Amish who adopted the Mennonite faith in my grandparents' generation. I am related by blood to virtually every Amish person alive, and perhaps half the Mennonites as well. Due to this excessive inbreeding I am, in fact, my own cousin. Give me a sandwich, and I am a family picnic. My point is, this restricted gene pool has produced a few interesting mutations, the most notable of which is the guilt gene. As a result, I am capable of feeling more guilt than a Baptist, Catholic, and Jew combined.
Hm, last time I checked I have no Amish or Mennonite in me, but I definitely would believe I have that gene. And speaking of which, I am almost half-way through the book and really starting to struggle in finishing it, BUT I feel guilty not finishing it. But it is kind of starting to annoy me. If I have to read "ach" or that Magdalena "wailed" about something, I am going to scream.

No comments: