Friday, March 9, 2012

Same Structure, Different Storyline Murder

I have been reading the Hannah Swenson series by Joanne Fluke off and on over the past several months. Currently I am on book #9, Key Lime Murder, and I have two more books checked out, but I am not even sure if I want to read them. Why?

1. The main character is getting increasingly irritating, especially with the constant grammar correcting, regardless of whether it is in her head or outloud. She gets mad at people for the dumbest reasons, like in this book, she gets pissed off at Norman and Mike for discussing details of the death of the victim in front of her. Oh, my bad, Willa. Don't call her "victim" because it's insulting to Hannah, since Willa is apparently her good buddy old pal, even though it seems to me that they don't even know each other that well.

2. The love triangle - come on. You're full grown adults. I almost want to say oh please go with Norman, but that poor man could do a lot better than wasting his time waiting for some stupid technologically impaired apparently unattractive frizzy red head yet has two guys fighting over her that can't make up her mind which man she wants even though the answer is so obvious it could hit her in the face.

3. The two men being friends with each other? Give me a break.

4. Word repetitiveness- I just finished part of a chapter and it was mentioned multiple times about Michelle being her youngest sister. We got it. Like the first time it was mentioned in the book. Back in chapter 2. This is just from this one chapter, chapter 14:
"Morning," Hannah said, spotting her youngest sister at the table the moment she entered her gleaming white cooking and baking domain

The sense of good humor her youngest sister has served along with her delicious omelet was short lived.

Hannah glanced at Michelle. Her youngest sister was holding Moishe in her lap while she chuckled silently.
5. Delores, her mother, is annoying. She reminds of those annoying old hags that can't accept that they are old, so they try to look and act young. And also like she is old money high class society. And the middle sister, Andrea is so fucking vain. Oh no! She found a gray hair!

6. Speaking of, does Andrea ever actually take care of her two brats?

7. And probably the most annoying thing of all - Hannah is the only person who ever comes across the dead bodies. And only once was a suspect?

8. And she is the only one capable of ever solving cases. Could someone in real life ever get away with as much interfering in murder cases as she does?

9. How is no one in that town about 400 pounds?

10. Tracey, the niece and one of Andrea's brats, is annoying as well. I despise the whole precocious child thing in a lot of books I read. Kids are annoying enough as it is. Making them act and talk like little adults only increases the annoyance.

11. I have a very hard time believing someone from what I presume is or right before my generation could be so technologically stupid. She can't even use a computer? Or a cellphone? Come on! Even my extremely technologically-retarded mother knows more about technology than Hannah!

I have a proposition for Ms. Fluke. What I would like to see happen is for both men to break up with Hannah at the same exact time. Have them both come and tell her they tired of her little games and that she is pathetic and they are both done. Then she'll probably lose her freaking mind and go on a murderous rampage. Then she will "find out" these people have been missing and she will go pretend to stumble across the bodies as usual with her new dessert nearby, pretend to investigate and find all kinds of clues to divert her from being a suspect, Mike finally grows a brain and Norman finally grows a set and they both figure out Hannah is the killer, and then she is thrown into jail. Ta-da! End of series!

And don't poke holes in my suggested premise. After all, this is the same book series that tries to say that Atlantic City is 2 hours ahead of Minnesota. Uh, no it is not.

No comments: