Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Random Thoughts

I am currently reading Something Blue by Emily Giffin and just like Trading Up, this book is a chore to read. The author is a good writer, but the main character, who I disliked in Something Borrowed, is extremely unlikable. Just like that character in that Lauren Weisberger book (I can't even remember the name of it), Darcy Rhone is a Janey Wilcox-lite. Easily one of the most vain characters I have ever read. I'd like to punch the character in her face.

I have read plenty of the so-called "chick lit" books and the more I read, the more I am starting to get annoyed. The constant brand name dropping is annoying. No one can ever just look at their watch; they have to look at their Rolex or Cartier watch. They cannot just feel someone's bones through their coat; they feel someone's bones through their Burberry trench coat. Okay, we get it. If I could read just one chick lit book that does not mention Tiffany's, Manolo Blahniks, or Jimmy Choos, I think I would die of shock. Not all of us women are that fascinated with those things. I love jewelry, especially diamonds, but for the most part, I don't care where it comes from.

Ugh, if I could go one day without having to hear something about Lindsay Lohan, I think I would die of shock (again). Seriously- does anyone even care what she does anymore? I had to laugh one night on TV she said she lost weight because she has been working a lot. What the hell does she do? Is it really that difficult to pretend to be a lesbian?

I read an article earlier about songs that were originally written for someone, but someone else ended up singing it and a lot of the comments have the same basis- only true artists/musicians write and perform their own songs. I wonder if I were to go on and mention Deee-Lite what the response would be. I don't think many people realize, except true fans, that all their songs were written by them. Lady Miss Kier wrote all the lyrics and a few were co-written by Dmitry. They did sample (and gave the credit; Lady Miss Kier was not fond of people sampling and not giving credit), but other than that, everything was written by them. They weren't good enough for mainstream America, but they were without a doubt, true musicians.

Yeah, I just realized I mentioned that already. Oh well. Never hurts to reiterate it.

I could watch that video over and over. Lady Miss Kier is absolutely GORGEOUS in that video. Very old school movie actress. I love listening to her talk, too. Sophisticated and sultry, yet there is still an urban infliction. I wonder who the 47 different artists are that have sampled them.

If you have not caught Vh-1's Black to the Future, do make sure you do. It's hilarious. I love all those crazy shows, like I Love The 80's and all that.

Steele Takes On Rush Limbaugh: "Ugly," "Incendiary" (VIDEO)

But....I thought Democrats were the ones with no backbones.

No comments: