One night while I was bored, I played around on Yahoo! Answers and found and answered a question of what is the scariest book I have ever read. My answer was The Demon In The Freezer by Richard Preston, which was about smallpox, which I had read a few years ago. Curious to see if there were any other books written by him, I took a trip up to the library the other day.
I found The Hot Zone, which is about ebola, and with no contest, that is easily the scariest book I have ever read in my life. I always knew that one of the characteristics of ebola was bleeding, especially out the eyes, but I never knew just how destructive the virus is (whether the author exaggerated anything or not is beyond my knowledge, so my information is based on what the book stated). This virus just basically destroys almost every single living tissue in the body. Just completely liquifies it. It basically turns you into fucking soup. I just hope these people that develop it that their minds are so out of normal functioning that they have no idea what is going on. I don't think in a normal state of mind- well, as normal as can be- I would particularly enjoy seeing blood coming out of every imaginable crevice in my body.
The reality of the situations in the book are what scares me the most. The Demon scared me enough, but ebola makes smallpox look like a cold. I just found something that scares me even more than meningococcemia. The reality of how if the samples of this virus got into the wrong hands and could be turned into biological warfare is beyond comprehensible.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
If Stephen King Can Say It's Scary....
Labels:
Biological Warfare,
Ebola,
Meningococcemia,
The Hot Zone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment