My family is not something I would call a big military family. My grandfather served in the army and in WW2 and a handful of relatives were drafted to Vietnam. I briefly in life considered it, but the military would take one look at my medical records, look at me, look back at the papers, and then laugh hysterically. I could never make it- mentally, that is- in the military.
My uncle Joey, my mother's brother, was one of those drafted to Vietnam. He was killed on May 1st, 1968 in a freak electrocution accident.
Obviously, since I didn't come along until 1983, I never got to meet my uncle. I wish I did, though. There have been a couple times I have dreamt of him. One time back when I was at one of my lowest points, I dreamt I met him and he told me everything is going to be okay. I can't say that it ever occured, but it still was nice to dream something like that.
The sad thing is, besides the death, is how my grandparents handled it. Look, I can imagine losing a child is very difficult, especially in such a ridiculous way (fighting a war that we had no business being in), but I can't see why 40 years later, my grandparents still grieve so badly over it. Especially since when he died, they had a 7 year old daughter (my aunt).
A salute to all of the men and women who have served this country, living and not living.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment