Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Writing My Living Will Part 1

I talked back about it in December, but having had not realized that I could write one without the help of a lawyer, I have finally decided to take a big step towards writing a living will. It's not an easy thing, I will tell you that. I want to make sure that I do this write and I want it basically airtight. I haven't talked to anyone in my family about it yet, but I should with my sister since she is a nurse and I do need to pick out a proxy and then a secondary proxy. Even with one it is still kind of scary because the question arises- will a doctor follow it? I think it is absolute bullshit if someone has an advanced directive and a doctor chooses to ignore it because it goes against his or her beliefs. Look, if you don't like it and don't want to allow a person to die, give the patient to another damn doctor. I refuse to be like freaking Terri Schiavo because some praise Jeebus type refuses to follow through with my goddamn choices and orders. Do no harm? Believe me, you will do no harm by following through with my one specific order.

Shit, after that case in England, I am half-tempted to demand I not be saved in the case of an obvious suicide attempt. I fully believe the doctors not treating her was the right thing to do. The life is Gods group can stand there and say about how glad people are that survive suicide attempts and while I do believe that, how often does it apply? I have thought many, many times in the past believing that maybe a suicide attempt (since so many seem to fail) would be good thing for me. But anymore, I just believe if I were to attempt suicide and survive it, I would not only beat myself up for failing at yet another thing, I more than likely would attempt it again.

One of the hardest parts I have come with drafting this damn thing up is what to do in the case of pregnancy. I have no intentions of ever becoming pregnant (and by the look of things, I not only will not ever become pregnant, I will also more than likely die the oldest virgin in history) I am not sure what NJ's law is on it, although I think it is more lenient than most states. So far the most information I have found is this:
26:2H-56.....A female declarant may include in an advance directive executed by her, information as to what effect the advance directive shall have if she is pregnant.
So by that, I am to assume I have the power to state what my wishes are if I ever become pregnant and something goes awry.

Initially I was going to say to invalidate my orders (except for the one most important order), but then I just read a quote that said a woman should not be forced to be an incubator and I agree! But I still may consider the invalidation of my orders. I don't know.

Dammit, I really wish I could afford to see a lawyer about this.

No comments: