Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Beef With Breast Cancer "Awareness"

This ended up being so long, I had to put it into it's own entry.

I am sick of breast cancer getting such a huge amount of attention compared to other cancers and seeing goddamn pink on everything!

Hell, once upon a time I did contribute to it. I did the walks and I do have a few not ridiculous stuff. But now it's nothing but a giant sexual marketing campaign. I won't even buy any of the stuff because I don't even know where my money is going to or if it is even going anywhere.

I mean, it's getting so bad that it is not even the end of September and every where I go, I am being bombarded by goddamn pink. How many people out there even know that September is ovarian cancer awareness month? Certainly not nearly as many that know October is breast cancer "awareness" month. Ovarian cancer can't even get an entire month of awareness without breast cancer "awareness" pushing its pink onto everything. But that's right- ovaries, as well as cervixes and uteri, aren't sexy enough to get as much attention. Seriously- if the overbombardment of pink hasn't sunk in yet, it never will.

And I am sick of the argument that lung cancer can be prevented- do you know how many people I know that have died of lung cancer and have never smoked a day in their life? Oh lots.

And the best argument I have seen for the huge amount of awareness is this genius bit- breast cancer can spread to other areas. Hm, I guess others don't really spread so they don't deserve the same amount of awareness. I guess my aunt's friend's sister who died of lung cancer (not a smoker) that metastized to her brain wasn't really cancer. I guess our local sports anchor who just recently passed after his multi-battle with prostate cancer that metastized to his bones wasn't really cancer. I guess my neighbor's daughter who had lung cancer (also never a smoker) that spread all over her body and killed her wasn't really cancer. What a load of crap.

By the way BIG newsflash- breast cancer is not the top killer of women. It's not even in the top 5. And it's not even the top cancer killer of women. Supposedly I have heard that the whole "awareness" thing was pushed by feminists. Look, I know it's miniscule in men, but breast cancer is not just a woman's cancer! And the sad thing is, there are probably so many people out there who don't even know that men can get it! I'll tell you what is strictly a woman's cancer- ovarian, uterine, and cervix cancer!

And the first line of defense among these people is if you want awareness of other cancers, then you need to get out and push for more awareness. People do make awareness of other cancers and breast cancer is right there, pushing it's awareness in front of it. Breast cancer awareness is no longer just October. Its spanning it's horrible pink "awareness" into every other month. Back in November, a brain cancer walk was organized and that same day, in the same city, a breast cancer walk was organized. Never mind that it was not even Breast Cancer Awareness month anymore.

In addition to the whole where and is my donation even going anywhere, breast cancer "awareness" wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't turning so tacky, eg "Save the ta-tas" (that one makes me exceptionally stabby), Jingle Jugs, and nice little fundraisers with titles like "Mugs for Jugs". When people have fundraisers like Mugs for Jugs or don't let cancer steal second base or wear shirts that say save the ta-tas or boobs- where exactly do their priorities lie? What exactly are they aiming to prevent- the death of the person or the loss of a woman's tits? Do they even care about saving a person's life or are people more worried over the fact that a woman could lose her breasts? Would anyone stand for bumper stickers or t-shirts that say "Save balls" in regards to testicular cancer awareness? Oh no. People would be all over that like ugly on an ape.

Why don't companies, instead of wasting money making all the stupid pink products, use that money to help women who can't get insurance or have horrible insurance get mammograms?

Donating money towards a cure. What a friggin joke.

I feel bad for anyone with breast cancer or who has had it in the past that gets sick and feels they are being exploited when they have to look at this puke-inducing pink junk and be reminded of the horrible disease they have/had. You are not any less of a woman because you have had to have a masectomy, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. What is the big fucking deal about losing your tits anyway? They really are not that important. Imagine having to lose a leg or something to bone cancer or losing your entire ability to walk due to spinal cancer or losing your faculties to brain cancer. Stop being so fucking vain and worry about staying alive instead of losing fat sacks. If my mother had breast cancer, do you think I give a shit if she loses her breasts? No. And neither would she. In fact, she'd probably jump on the operating table right after the diagnosis and scream "let's go with the breast removal already!".

This woman knows what she is talking about.

And I know it's kind of mean, but I don't know why people get so angry if someone says that there are cancers out there that are scarier than others. Yeah, they are all scary as hell, but tell me- will you be singing the same tune if you are diagnosed with a cancer that has a high surival rate as opposed to a cancer with a low survival rate? Say you are diagnosed with thyroid cancer, which has a pretty high survival rate- you honestly can tell me you would feel the same as if you were to be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which is almost always fatal?

No comments: