Friday, October 24, 2008

The Curse Of Liberalism

Revisiting two posts ago, I questioned why being labeled "liberal" is such a bad thing. I am going to ask it again- why is being a liberal such a bad thing?

My mother was on the phone with my aunt the other day and my mom was discussing politics and my aunt made some comment about there being people who lean too much to the left and people who lean too much to the right, and then made some comment implying I lean too much to the left. And it infuriated me. Yes, I lean left on a lot of issues, but I would hardly say I lean too much. There are issues that I lean center, perhaps even slightly right on. Just because I watch primarily liberal news shows does not mean I necessarily believe or agree with everything they say. There have been things I have agreed with Bill O'Rielly and several other non-Democrat people. Hell, there have even been a couple of things I have kind of agreed with, dare I say, Ann Coulter on.

My grandfather was someone who voted Democratic as far back as my mother can remember and out of nowhere, became this raging Republican. My grandmother is literally in love with Sean Hannity and watches him all day long. My aunt still lives at home so she probably listens to whatever they say. I don't even know why she complains; she's not registered to vote anyway.

I have a feeling that my grandfather probably thinks that my political beliefs come from my parents, but I beg to differ. For one thing, it was not until the 2004 election that I ever heard my parents talk politics and by then, I already had formed most of my own opinions. He probably also thinks I am some young punk that has no idea what she is talking about. After all, he did say that after he found out my sister voted for Al Gore in 2000.

No comments: