Friday, February 26, 2010

Quote Of The Day

From Jezebel user vee:
Look. I don't know Suleman. Maybe she has some kind of deeply-rooted problems that I don't know about, but from the interviews I've seen, I don't see mental illness. I don't like where most of the comments on this article are going. I think that trying to diagnose Suleman is sort of... shall we say, irresponsible? Too easy? Too eager to brand someone with a disease that we are in no place to diagnose from our armchairs?

It's generally frowned upon to do this to children (re: prescribing away spiritedness with Adderall, etc.), so why is it ok to do this to an adult woman?

There are a lot of words I could use to describe Nadya Suleman. Over-excitable. Attention mongering. Obsessed with fame, and herself. Not the least bit smart. Irresponsible. But I don't think she's crazy. At least not in a way that I think she's got some kind of disorder.

Women like her, and Tila Tequila, and all these other fame-whoring starlets (hi, Kate Gosselin, you too) are probably not disordered. They only want people to pay attention to them, and having cameras shoved in their faces, live studio audiences, and invisible fans from Twitter, etc., just make them more wild and excitable.

Like yappy lap dogs, these women begin preening and crowd-pleasing the minute you turn a spotlight on them. And it comes across as excessive and weird to the rest of us, because that's what it is. It's excess attention that makes people like her act that way.

But as a person who has grown up around-- and with-- myriad personality disorders, I seriously, seriously resent the premature assessment of Nadya Suleman as crazy. That is all.
What do we need a new DSM for? We have the internet community here to make diag-nonsenses on people!

Thank you. I am so sick of this new generation of people who think because they took one psych class that they are capable of diagnosing someone. Whatever happened to someone just being an asshole?

No comments: