Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Random Thoughts

I finally paid a visit to the eye doctor (my last appointment was 2006). And did I pay. I knew I had to pay out of pocket, of course, but I was figuring $100 or so. Much to my surprise, after my check-up, the receptionist calls me up and says "$185". If I were a cartoon character, I would have looked something like this. I almost burst in to tears. It's not putting me in to debt, but I am still far from happy about having to put that much out (are you kidding? even if I were a freaking millionaire, I would still be bitching about having to pay all that). Especially since another $136 has to go out for contacts.

Thank god I don't need glasses, too, because last time that hit me hard. I went to this place that charged $10 for all frames. Thanks to being close to Mr. Magoo territory when it comes to myopia, I had to have specific lens features put into my lenses. Featherweight lenses are not an option for me. If I didn't get them, my glasses would probably fall right off my nose from the weight. Ended up costing me about $170 after all was said and done.

If my eye doctor was still with the original company, she would have taken care of me. Back when I had insurance, our plan covered every other year and since I have contacts, I have to go yearly. Those years I had to pay out of pocket, she would usually not charge for one exam. She did that a lot with her loyal patients. She is a great doctor and it would take a lot for me to go to someone else. The only upside to paying the $185.

I had to go to a work meeting this work and man was it boring. The people are nice enough that now run the company, but the fact that they are only out for a profit and nothing else doesn't sit right with me. And I am still sore over the fact that I distinctly remember them telling us that every employee gets stock before they took over. Then suddenly, it was only if you are eligible. And the fact that I am kept at just a little under the eligibility for benefits and other crap really rubs salt in the wound. I hate business people sometimes.

But who gives a crap about the meeting. No, rather I am bothered by the fact of how my manager treated me today. She was very rude and abrupt with me when I asked a question. And last time I talked with her, she was the same way. Despite being one of the biggest offenders on earth of taking a bad mood out on everyone else, I get very annoyed when people take their bad moods out of me. I felt like screaming what the fuck is your problem, bitch? You crucify me in my employee review (while telling me that you forget to do good employee reviews and never forget to do reviews for employees that aren't doing well while doing my review a few months after my start date; is that supposed to make me feel good or something?) and tell me to ask questions when I need to, but then cock a tude when I ask questions?

My employee review, while I was rated basically a B, could spawn it's own posting. Half the shit I didn't even understand how I could be graded on. Attendence? I work from home and have no set schedule! I work the hours I want to and I have never not went in on the days I am required to. Creativity? How exactly does one get creative with this job? It is a set task. You do it one way and that is it. There is nothing to get creative about.

My job, for the most part, is fairly easy. I do get tasks that make me want to pull my hair out. What makes it even more nerve-wracking for me is some of the people that get my work after me are, uh, extremely anal retentive? They have been doing it for 900 years so they expect everyone else to do it perfect. I am expected to increase my time speed (I am constantly being compared to the other people who do my job as well, people who have been doing it for a hell of a lot longer than me and who have had more medical experience than me; at the same time, I am also told speed comes with time) while also making absolutely no mistakes! And sometimes you have to do a lot of reading, which takes up more time. I try to work as fast as I can, but there are so many things that can take up time quickly. Like 45 copies of the same sheet (determing whether it is or isn't the same), trying to comprehend a written date (no wonder doctors get sued so much), etc.

I made a simple mistake one time with a file where I had it basically in order, but for some reason, the pile of 2000-2005 somehow ended up not between 1999 and 2006. A minor inconvenience, sure, but was it really that big of a deal? All the person had to do was separate 1999 and 2006 and place the 2000-2005 in between. If I had that file, I would have either bitched to myself about it for 25 minutes, then placed it where it needed to be and STFU or I would have just made a mention of it when I took the work back in. I wouldn't have immediately went whining to the manager with an email that basically stated how much I was inconveniencing her:
I am going through chart on [patient name] sorted by [my initials]. As I am going through checking to see if it is in order and tagging the radiology/operative reports the dates jump from 1999 to 2006. I get through to 2009 and then the dates go to 2000 to 2005. This is a large chart with dates starting in 1967. I am now back tracking to put the 2000 to 2005 in place.
I won't deny that it is a minor inconvenience. But seriously- backtracking? Because simply having to seperate 1999 and 2006 is really that much of an effort? It would take all of 5 fucking seconds to place the 2000 to 2005 papers in between. Cry me a river, you self-entitled miserable bitch. Sorry I haven't been doing my job for 100 years like you have and have everything exactly the way you want it! Last time, I checked, I am still semi-human and I make mistakes!

Bitch, please! Do you know how much I would love to have a file that doesn't have repeated copies of the same paper? That the medical or legal office it came from would actually do some type of house-cleaning before shipping the damn thing over? Or that when someone makes a copy of something, they make sure it actually copies where I can read it? Or that every doctor or PT would write legibly? Oh, I'd love it! But it's not going to happen!

I am not just saying miserable bitch over that. Whenever I have been in the actual workplace, if I said hi to her she would just completely ignore me. This was just like when I worked at my last employer. Whenever I would say hi to anyone, they would just stare at me. Maybe I was raised wrong, but I was taught that if someone says hi to me, I say hi back!

You want to know something bizarre? Back in high school, I took chorus my sophomore year because I really, really, REALLY wanted to make Girl's Ensemble or Concert Choir (just for the record, I didn't make either; I was this close *holding thumb and forefinger a quarter of an inch apart* to making it). Well, there was this freshman in it as well who, while she had a good voice, was a little bit too big for her britches. I sang soprano, she sang alto. And on the night of the winter concert, we all filed on stage. She was next to me and all she kept saying to me was I was in the alto section. I was absolutely not. I has sopranos next to me, in front of me and behind me and there was some on the other side of her, so she was very clearly in the wrong section. And she would just not let up. So from that night on, I had a vendetta for her. Mostly for trying to make me look like an ass and for just being a pretentious little spoiled cunt. I caught her friends doing that whole whispering in the ear and then looking at me one day and I had to do everything in my power to not go over and kick the shit out of the 3 of them. I guess I was even evil back in high school because I will never forget the day I go in to school and a friend of mine tells me the dork broke her hip trying to roller skate down a snowy hill. I laughed so hard, my teeth almost fell out.

So isn't it nice to know that I come to find out Mommy works for the same company I work for? All I can say is I hope I never have to be introduced to her because my luck, it will turn into 20 questions and she will find out I graduated a year before her daughter and then it will turn in to "oh do you know my daughter" and I will have to bite my tongue and simply say "yes" instead of wanting to inform Mommy of what a pretentious little cunt her daughter is.

The absolute highlight of my job is when I get a file where a lawyer, doctor, or something similar thinks the patient is lying and will write a letter totally handing the patient's ass to them. Now I am someone who makes assumptions way too often, but I am starting to get to the point when I am starting to figure out when the case is legit or just someone out to make a quick buck. Some of the patients are assholes and will go ape-shit if the doctor tells them they are fine.

Those letters make my day.

A few weeks ago, I decided to take the advice of the "how dare you insult breast cancer awareness" nazis about trying to get more recognition for other cancers. I decided to start with the Avon Foundation. I sent them an email asking why they, as a women's foundation, only focus on breast cancer when there are other cancers out there that- OMG- affect women. I was surprised to actually receive a response back and not much surprised to have my idea shot down. They claim they can only focus on domestic violence and breast cancer. So it would absolutely kill them to maybe have some items with peach or teal ribbons? They can't use some of their donations to help un- and underinsured women get Pap smears and gynocological exams? To educate young women on what symptoms to look for? Nooo. They have to use it all on breast cancer. Geeze, sorry that cervixes, ovaries, and uteri just don't have that sexual appeal like a set of big ol' tits!

I am going to get borderline homicidal if I see that damn Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk commercial one more time. I especially can't stand that girl at the end with the pink feather boa that is all like "I didn't have a say in my mom dying". Yeah, that's almost everybody's problem!

I don't know what it is, but since I was younger, I have always had this haunting feeling that I will have cancer someday. Don't know what type. I am at risk for quite a few. I have an awful digestive system(from esophagus- GERD- to intestines- undiagnosed, but more than likely IBS with constipation) and 2 of my maternal great-grandfathers had stomach cancer, so I wouldn't be surprised if I ever got that or esophageal cancer. Since November, I was absolutely sick to my stomach that my mother had esophageal cancer because she was having pain swallowing, but her EGD came up benign, but she does have Barrett's. I don't know if there is any genetic link for that (although I strongly believe most things in life have a genetic link), but if there is, combined with my long history of acid reflux, per diem bulimia, and poor diet, I won't be surprised if I develop it eventually. Cancer is scary, but three cancers out there terrify me more than anything- brain, spinal, and esophageal.

I'd say bone cancer as well, due to the risk of losing a limb, but I pretty much have a say in whether or not to chop it off, do I not? My answer would be "HELL FUCKING NO!".

I have known so many people who have had cancer. And many are right here in my neighborhood (I believe my neighborhood to be toxic; probably a contribution to my feeling I will get cancer). I have known someone with bone and esophageal cancer (a neighbor- died), 2 people who ovarian (a neighbor- died, a former friend's mother- still alive), prostate cancer (local news anchor- died, a cousin- alive, my father), throat and tongue cancer (a cousin- died), brain cancer (a friend of my sister's- alive; her husband also has prostate cancer), 2 with breast cancer (both alive), and so many with lung cancer. It's astonishing how many people I know that have/had lung cancer. Even more astonishing is how many have never smoked a day in their life.

No comments: